[PlanetCCRMA] Ima Newbie; can't get through install of FC4, nomatter what I do! Help!

Joe Fay wb0fhu@aol.com
Wed Feb 22 11:47:01 2006

Hi Fernando (Espero que usted tiene un buen dia!)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Fernando Lopez-Lezcano" <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
To: <Wb0fhu@aol.com>
Cc: <planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Ima Newbie; can't get through install of FC4,
nomatter what I do! Help!

> It would seem that there is a problem with your video hardware.
> Did you try to install in text mode?
Yes, I tried it with every argument I saw to run with it...still to no
avail!
> Once you boot into the first prompt (before it starts loading the kernel
> and all that) type:
>  linux text
> That will start the text based installer.
>
> documented here:
> http://www.fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/ch-beginninginstallation.html
>
> Just for reference some more options are documented here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaIsoLinux0ptions
>
> What to try depends on exactly what messages (if any) get printed before
> things fail. I'm not sure of what is failing.

Frankly, Fernando, I'm not sure, either.  I tried to use the Knoppix Live CD
that comes with the distro from the book I mentioned, but that worked just
fine, and found everything it needed to find.

> Assuming there's something wrong with support for your video card I
> would try:
>
> text* -- Enable text mode for install (default on HTTP and FTP
>         installs). Mutually exclusive with graphical
> skipddc* -- Skips DDC probe of the monitor
> lowres* -- Force GUI installer to run at 640x480

Tried those, too.  No luck! Same white screen of death.

> -- Fernando

Thanks, Fernando.  You have any other ideas to try?
Joe Fay, WO0O