[PlanetCCRMA] Thanks to every one for your help and should I stick around on Planet ccrma?

Bal Dobe baldobe2000@yahoo.de
Wed Feb 22 00:59:03 2006

Matt you are right I have learnt a lot over the last few days and a lot
of the knowledge is transferable.

Also, I would not even have considered using ubuntu had someone here not
suggested it, so my time here was well spent.

"The knowledge you now have may benefit someone else down the road. It's
not a static situation and your contribution/participation only adds to
the overall base."

I think that based upon that comment it will be worth me sticking
around.  It's only fair to share the knowledge that others have freely
shared.

All the best.

Bal.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Marian [mailto:matt1@mattmarian.homelinux.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:28 AM
To: Bal Dobe
Cc: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Thanks to every one for your help and should

Bal Dobe wrote:

>Thanks to everyone for all your time, help and patience with me on
this.

>As some of you may have seen I have had more than my fair share of
grief
>with planet ccrma kernels both on FC3 and FC4.  A few people here have
>been very helpful in guiding and assisting me.
>
>Even though I have not been totally successful at installing the ccma
>apps and Kernel someone here did direct me to ubuntu and this led me to
>install Kubuntu and KubuntuAMD64 kernels.
>
>I am now on my way to setting up my system and the learning experience
>here has been very useful indeed.  At one stage I really was wondering
>if I had made a mistake in coming over to linux!
>
>My possible last question is: should I stick around here any more.  I
am
>not going to be running a ccrma kernel since I will be using a/demudi
>based system so would my time here really be spent wisely?
>
>Many thanks everyone.
>
>Bal

Stick around , it's a great source and a great community. You may have
felt frustrated beyond belief, but if you stop and think how much you
have learned in a short period, and all that knowledge is under your
belt now. Even the decision to switch over to agnula/Demudi.  I have
tried many GNU/Linux distros for many projects, not just my DAW.
I use several that work well for specific jobs - A lot of the knowledge
spills over.
I have found that there is no panacea in any OS ( I even use windoze for

certain things), I consider them all as excellent tools in my arsenal to

get jobs done, which is, after all why we use computers .
Fernando is a pretty amazing person, I can't think of too many
situations where you get direct answers, very quickly, from the person
doing the distro/development etc.  I know that are some, but he works
tirelessly on this and responds like lightning on issues. The knowledge
you now have may benefit someone else down the road. It's not a static
situation and your contribution/participation only adds to the overall
base.
One of the things I have figured out about the planet CCRMA, is that the

Fedora versions and updates  move at a fairly quick pace. The distro is
great one day and wrecks havoc with CCRMA the next - based on your
specific install/hardware etc. The Demudi distro , is pretty static -
but pretty stable.  I used it for a while and it is fine, but I ended up

coming back to CCRMA. but that's just me, I found it seemed to work
better with my hardware, and with all my other machines. Again, whatever

works.
I didn't mean to go on such a long opinion, but I am also saying thanks
to Fernando and the CCRMA list as well.
Stick around, we'll all learn a thing or two.

Matt
have fun - make music.