[PlanetCCRMA] ccrma on gentoo

Mon Feb 20 11:28:01 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 14:59 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 2/19/06, Charlls Quarra <charlls_quarra@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> > I've been following ccrma from a while when i decided to upgrade my RH9
> > system to ccrma. I don't want to start one of these "my distro is better
> > than yours" thread, but whatsoever i feel compelled to reallly recommend to
> > branch ccrma into gentoo (as an alternative to FC5?). If for anything else,
> > the huge management benefit of providing a source repository and relaxing
> > the need for having to "update" binary packages from time to time.
> > Supporting ccrma as a gentoo overlay, would require just keeping up to date
> > a set of .ebuild script files, meaning that ccrma can keep edgy while
> > reducing the burden for the maintainers.
> > I know it's not going to happen any time soon, and it's likely it won't
> > happen ever. But maybe if a critical amount of people feel the same about
> > this, it could.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> idea++;
> ?* This would be great!*/
>
> OK, it would be beyond great, but it's probably not all that likely to
> happen because it would require a CCRMA person (Fernando or the person
> they are hiring this month) run some Gentoo boxes and do the builds
> there as a first test.

Yep.

Not only that, Gentoo - from what little I know - would not be the best
choice for maintaining 40+ machines in sync here at CCRMA. Most probably
there are ways around having to always compile stuff in every machine,
who knows.

Anyway, I'm swamped as you guys may have noticed. There are plenty of
things to be done before tackling Gentoo :-)

[for example: getting i386 Planet CCRMA up to date!, following up on the
still unresolved issues with the kernel, doing ppc Planet CCRMA, x86_64
planet CCRMA, redoing the docs, etc, etc]

-- Fernando