[PlanetCCRMA] FC3 memory usage

Sun Feb 19 14:55:02 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 17:49 -0500, PMG wrote:
> Hello, I was reading about the free and top commands,
> I checked out my free RAM (I've had problems with
> Gamix and Ardour/jack latency). My cpu is about 9%
> used, but for the RAM, I've got this:
>
> total:515248
> used:504024
> free:11224
> buffers:18868
> cached:304120
>
> and
>
>  /+ buffers/cache:     185772     329476
> Swap:       746980      15472     731508
>
> 504 Mb used on 512 Mb!?

That's normal. Linux will use almost all memory available al the time,
most of it is used for buffering and caching things. 512M should be
enough these days.

> And 'top' displays 88 total
> tasks running, I see many Kapps, but I use gnome?

Depends on which app you are running, many of them are linked to kde and
will need stuff running even if you use gnome as the window manager.

> Anyway, this could be the reason for Gamix not having
> enough memory maybe?

Nope, most probably the gamix problem is a software bug that manifests
with your particular soundcard.

-- Fernando