[PlanetCCRMA] Re: From zero to DAW in 2 hours !

David Slimp rock808@gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:32:00 2006

Bal,

So, if the first install of plain FC4 runs well... and does not give
you any problems with init 6, then it's probably not a "serious"
issue with your hardware... your ram is probably good.. and
so is your HD, etc..

HOWEVER, what Fernando was saying, is that the CCRMA
version you download/install is using a super cutting-edge
kernel that has not had a lot of time spent on testing against
every sort of hardware.... so, it's very possible there is a
specific bug in that which doesn't get along with your hardware
at the moment.

Molnar (who puts the audio kernel patches together) would be
the guy to talk to about getting him the debugging info he'd
need to make fixes to the kernel to ensure it's fixed for your
specific hardware.  If you don't want to mess with that, then
it'll probably end up getting fixed sooner or later, but until then
you'll have to live with some possible issues.

If you're not willing to live with those issues, then you'll need
to installed FC3/CCRMA ... and wait until the kernel is fixed
before using FC4.

FC3/CCRMA seemed to work pretty good for me, but I can't
really talk about it much, because at that time I had mixed
packages from different repos and that was causing me a
few problems... and another reason my "DAW in 2 hours"
strategy starts with a FRESH install :)

I don't foresee any problem having FC3 and FC4 installed
on separate partitions, but I've never set up 2 different
linux versions on the same machine... so probably would
not be much help with that.

David

--
David Slimp
rock808@gmail.com

"On proprietary platforms, eventually you'll run into 'you can't do that.'
 On open platforms, you'll run into 'you have to learn more to do that.' "
  -- Ian Smith-Heisters