[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel status

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Fri Feb 17 15:58:01 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 12:40 -0600, Pablo wrote:
> Hello Fernando:
>
> Sorry if I'm completely unaware of some development, but I'd like to
> ask about what's keeping the whole series of the later Fedora kernels
> at the "experimental" stage? Is this due to something in the 2.6 kernel
> versions? The Molnar patches?
>
> Is there hope that we might have a non-experimental Planet CCRMA kernel
> for any of the Fedora Core versions anytime soon? The latest SMP
> kernels I've tried behave rather weirdly with my motherboard, and won't
> recognize the mouse and keyboard correctly even when the non-SMP kernel
> of the same number will, so I haven't even been able to get to the
> point wher I can try and configure my RME soundcard with ALSA, which
> continues to be another awful hassle I won't get into here... I'd just
> like to get a DAW working that I can use to convince my students to try
> Linux alternatives, but this has proven to be a bit disheartening, even
> if I don't mind working a bit and learning a bit more than with other
> OSs!

    The mouse/keyboard SMP thing is a known bug with 2.6 and some
motherboards.  It was fixed in 2.6.14 I believe (and definitely in
2.6.15 as I had the same problem at work).

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744