[PlanetCCRMA] Re: From zero to DAW in 2 hours !

David Slimp rock808@gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 20:14:01 2006

First... Kelly... thanks for your input/confirmation on the intel8x0 and
1010LT not working together.

Next, Bal...
I saw you were getting several strange "not going to be installed" messages
in one of your previous emails.  That bothers me... those apps SHOULD
have been installed just fine.... but then I saw you do 'apt-get if install'
and 'apt-get dis-upgrade' after that, and everything seemed to be there?!
You did not copy the command you used to get that started in to
your email, so I'm not sure WHAT you might have done there.
Also, my instructions said to run this:

apt-get install planetccrma-audiovideoapps

Did you do something differently?

I then noticed there was a type when you were downloading PC51f.sf2.gz
so that makes me think you are typing these commands by hand rather
than copy/paste what I've written? -- I'd suggest copy/paste to be extra
sure no typos are made :)

Finally, you said you can't shut down, but did not say what you were
typing/clicking that didn't work.
I usually reboot by typing (as root from command line):  init 6

I do see all the apps in my menus, so you should too.
I seem to be using gnome, rather than KDE, so does that
mean you've already been doing some playing around and
changing some things to get yourself in to KDE?

It might be best to run the 'history' command (as your user and root),
and paste all the output here in email.... make sure none of it gives
away anything that could compromise your system, but if you've
run a command or two (maybe typo) that could have done something
bad, it would be good to know. :)

david

--
David Slimp
rock808@gmail.com

"On proprietary platforms, eventually you'll run into 'you can't do that.'
 On open platforms, you'll run into 'you have to learn more to do that.' "
 -- Ian Smith-Heisters