[PlanetCCRMA] FC4 install with CCRMA

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Thu Feb 16 01:23:02 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:57:02 -0600
David Slimp <rock808@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fernando,
>
> This seems to be a common problem for newbies... especially
> now that later grub versions only show the default kernel.
>
> Perhaps CCRMA install should update the default kernel in grub.conf
> as some other installers do.... If the new kernel fails they can always
>
> What are your thoughts?

I like David's suggestion on this, though I also feel we need to get together some better documentation on working with grub and mutiple installations.

I have different fedora versions on my machine most of the time and have gotten pretty good at configuring grub.conf so that I can boot anyting I need with no problems.  Most of the time when I do a new install I tell the installer to put the bootloader(grub) on it's own partition(s) instead of the mbr, and I config the older fedora's grub.conf to boot the new kernels on the new install.

It's not very hard to "re-grub" a machine to use a different "/boot" if you need to switch from an old distro to a new one if needed, it's all in the grub info pages(info grub).  One of the best things that people can do is read the info pages and create a grub boot disk.  We make both cdrom and floppy(when we can) versions.  These are bootable disks that bring you into a grub prompt where just about anything on the machine can be booted.  Grub is very powerfull.

Tracey.