[PlanetCCRMA] (RESOLVED) frustrated with midi - finding no help

David Slimp rock808@gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 14:31:02 2006

Nigel,

I DO totally agree with you!  - and have for some time....
due to other baaad experiences I've had in the past of
mixing repos and apt/yum methods.

The main reason I fell in to this is because this machine
had originally been set up to serve another purpose. I was
very careful about which repos I was using, and only mixing
the "suggested" ones (atrpms being one of them).  It wasn't
until recently that I decided to take another closer look at
how music apps are coming along under Linux (I switched
to Linux in 1998 and had to abandon my music *sob*)

Anyway, I guess I was TOO eager to get started... and just
commented out the other repos (knowing they'd be a bad mix)
and just setting up for CCRMA.  The thing I did NOT do, was
wipe clean all the RPMs I'd already gotten from the other repos!

So, now... my recommendation for anyone interested in getting
started with Linux/Music quickly and easily... I'm going to have
to strongly suggest a FRESH install.. preferably with an audio-based
distro (CCRMA / ANGULA), and a well supported, full featured card
(Delta 1010LT for me).   If I had just STARTED with that, I would
have been making music within the day, rather than 2 weeks
and half a head of hair later.   ;)

david