[PlanetCCRMA] advice on upgrade from fc1 to fc4 request

Tom Poe tompoe@studioforrecording.org
Sun Feb 12 16:39:01 2006

--------------060703040605080204060605

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano offered the following on 02/12/2006 01:33 AM:
> On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 00:17 -0600, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>>Fernando:  Little delay at this end.  Managed to get some time, and ran
>>rpm -e apt-devel synaptic planetccrma-audioapps
>>planetccrma-audiovideoapps
>>
>>Then installed apt successfully, updated the sources.list and ran
>>apt-get update
>>
>>I have three packages that are duplicated:
>>librsvg2
>>glibc
>>gstreamer-plugins
>>
>>Personally, I'd like to run a command to see a list of all duplicated
>>packages.
>

> Hmmm, I don't know how exactly to do this. Most probable the output of
> "apt-get check" should be enough.
>
> You could:
>   rpm -q -a --qf "%{NAME}\n" | sort | uniq -d
> that _should_ print the duplicated packages only, I think.
> Then for each package do:
>   rpm -q package_name
> and you should see the duplicates...
>

>> I'm thinking that would then let me run an rpm command that
>>would remove the old package, leaving the newer package.  But, before I
>>ask your help to figure out what the commands are, can I ask what you
>>recommend?  There's some question in my mind, that if I remove them, I
>>might cripple the system altogether, and not be able to fix it so
>>easily.
>

> You should be able to remove the old version only and leave the new one
> alone. I think you just need to do "rpm -e package-version-release"
> using the version-release of the old package.
>
> -- Fernando

Fernando:  Thank you.  I stumbled across the command to identify duplicates:
doublepackages=`rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' | sort | uniq -d | grep -v ^kernel`
[root@localhost apt]# echo $doublepackages
glibc gpg-pubkey gstreamer-plugins librsvg2
Then I ran:
[root@localhost apt]# rpm -q -a glibc
glibc-2.3.5-10
glibc-2.3.2-101.4
[root@localhost apt]#
and added them to the apt.conf file as duplicates allowed for now.

I'm not sure how to get the apt-check list of applications cleaned up,
but shortened the list to what you see below.

[root@localhost apt]# apt-get install planetccrma-core
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
planetccrma-core is already the newest version.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
   alsa-kernel-2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma: Depends: kernel (=
2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma)
                                        Depends: kernel-version-i686 (=
2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma) but it is not installable
   gstreamer-plugins#0.6.3-3: Depends: libgstcontrol-0.6.so.0 but it is
not installable
                              Depends: libgstreamer-0.6.so.0 but it is
not installable
                              Depends: libraw1394.so.5 but it is not
installable
   gtkglarea: Depends: XFree86 (>= 4.0) but it is not installable
   hydrogen: Depends: libFLAC++.so.2 but it is not installable
             Depends: libFLAC.so.4 but it is not installable
             Depends: libcurl.so.2 but it is not installable
   kino: Depends: libraw1394.so.5 but it is not installable
   lesstif: Depends: XFree86 but it is not installable
   libgnomeprint: PreDepends: XFree86 but it is not installable
   liblrdf: Depends: libcurl.so.2 but it is not installable
   libquicktime: Depends: libraw1394.so.5 but it is not installable
   librsvg2#2.4.0-3: Depends: libcrlayeng.so.1 but it is not installable
                     Depends: libcroco.so.1 but it is not installable
                     Depends: libcrseleng.so.1 but it is not installable
   midishare-kernel-2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma: Depends: kernel (=
2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma)
                                             Depends:
kernel-version-i686 (= 2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma) but it is not installable
   pd: Depends: libtcl8.3.so but it is not installable
       Depends: libtk8.3.so but it is not installable
   planetccrma-core: Depends: kernel-version-i686 (=
2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma) but it is not installable
                     Depends: alsa-lib (= 1.0.4-1.cvs.rhfc1.ccrma) but
1.0.9rc4-2 is to be installed
                     Depends: alsa-lib-devel (= 1.0.4-1.cvs.rhfc1.ccrma)
but 1.0.9rc4-2 is to be installed
                     Depends: alsa-utils (= 1.0.4-1.cvs.rhfc1.ccrma) but
1.0.9rc2-2 is to be installed
   raptor: Depends: libcurl.so.2 but it is not installable
   xemacs: Depends: libRKC.so.1.1 but it is not installable
           Depends: libcanna.so.1.1 but it is not installable
           Depends: libpq.so.3 but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).
[root@localhost apt]#

At this point, I have my data files on another computer, so, we have the
option of using the install CDs to do a fresh install, rather than clean
up what's above.  What would you do?
Thanks,
Tom
--
94% of returning troops suffer trauma
Open Studios, Charles City, Iowa, USA

--------------060703040605080204060605

begin:vcard
fn:Tom Poe
n:Poe;Tom
org:Open Studios
adr:;;510 15th Avenue;Charles City;IA;50616;USA
email;internet:tompoe@studioforrecording.org
title:Director
tel;work:641-228-3271
tel;home:641-228-3271