[PlanetCCRMA] advice on upgrade from fc1 to fc4 request

Sat Feb 11 23:34:01 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 00:17 -0600, Tom Poe wrote:
> Fernando:  Little delay at this end.  Managed to get some time, and ran
> rpm -e apt-devel synaptic planetccrma-audioapps
> planetccrma-audiovideoapps
>
> Then installed apt successfully, updated the sources.list and ran
> apt-get update
>
> I have three packages that are duplicated:
> librsvg2
> glibc
> gstreamer-plugins
>
> Personally, I'd like to run a command to see a list of all duplicated
> packages.

Hmmm, I don't know how exactly to do this. Most probable the output of
"apt-get check" should be enough.

You could:
  rpm -q -a --qf "%{NAME}\n" | sort | uniq -d
that _should_ print the duplicated packages only, I think.
Then for each package do:
  rpm -q package_name
and you should see the duplicates...

>  I'm thinking that would then let me run an rpm command that
> would remove the old package, leaving the newer package.  But, before I
> ask your help to figure out what the commands are, can I ask what you
> recommend?  There's some question in my mind, that if I remove them, I
> might cripple the system altogether, and not be able to fix it so
> easily.

You should be able to remove the old version only and leave the new one
alone. I think you just need to do "rpm -e package-version-release"
using the version-release of the old package.

-- Fernando