[PlanetCCRMA] SB Live (ca0106) and hundreds of xrun messages

David Slimp rock808@gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 07:15:02 2006

Well, perhaps a bit too "harsh", but could be rightfully so.

I finally gave up on the "SB Live 24bit!" card myself.
For a full 4 days (10am-10pm) of struggling, googling,
reading, posting for help, trying/testing, etc I seemed
to battle my way through each step of first getting
jack to work, then fixing things for each app I was
interested in... and finally calling it quits before getting
"duplex" mode working in jack (only playback). and
no sequencer started either.

I saw several posts about the Delta 1010LT and decided
I'd give it a try.

WOW!  I turned the machine off (running FC3 and CCRMA),
swapped out the SB Live for the new Delta 1010LT and fired
it up.  The card was perfectly detected, and alsa sound
just worked.  After a minute of resetting qjackctrl back to
original (pre-SB Live) settings, jack was up and running !
Ardour and fluidsynth... no problems at all.  I'd say the
time savings ALONE make that card well worth it!
And that says nothing about the savings of your mental
state.. not having to deal with a stressful configure session.

I'm really going to recommend that starting off with a good,
stable, well supported (in linux) card is worth much more than
it's weight in gold.

The only other tip I can provide to provide to people starting
off, is to check the input/output settings on your card after you
first install/reboot.. it's an easy "gotcha" to miss.

David