[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA is ruining my life (or at least my machine)

Luis Garrido luisgarrido@users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 6 12:05:44 2006

I think that "I am ruining my own life and machine by mixing
repositories" would be a much more appropriate subject for your
message. The main purpose of a distribution is putting together a
series of packages that are mutually compatible so the end user does
not have to worry about interaction among the different versions of
those packages.

Ffmpeg is under heavy development and its api seems to change with
every build. It is thus a highly volatile package and very prone to
create version compatibility issues.

It is not reasonable for a distribution that pretends to be stable to
keep track of bleeding edge packages so, if you mix repositories to
include the most up to date versions you are, let's say, inviting
trouble, and it is no one's responsability other than yours.

That said, if you install a ffmpeg from other repo, you will probably
be better off if you install all the packages that depend on it from
the same repo. But there is no way of predicting how this can affect
to other ccrma packages, since they are probably built under different
conditions (i.e., compiler or depending libraries versions.)

Keeping your linux up to date is a demanding and many times
disappointing task. Bleeding edge is usually best achieved if you
build from source, so you may want to give a try to some distro like
Gentoo. Good luck,

Luis