[PlanetCCRMA] practical question

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Feb 5 12:37:01 2006

Oded Ben-Tal:
> I will be using PD and snd in a performance situation (planetCCRMA, RH9, on
> my laptop if it matters). I want to make sure there aren't any unnecessary
> processes running, and that the computer doesn't start churning the hard
> drive for some routine maintenance. Any advice about what to do/avoid?
> Any other practical advice?

Yes, stopping all cron-jobs is probably a good idea. The machines at notam
are configured like this (for fc1 and fc3, probably the same for rh9):

"
cp -f /site/etc/config/run-parts2 /usr/bin/

if grep "run-parts " >/dev/null /etc/crontab ; then
     cp -f /etc/crontab /etc/crontab.org
     sed s/run-parts\ /run-parts2\ / </etc/crontab.org >/etc/crontab
     echo "crontab changed"
fi
if grep "run-parts " >/dev/null /etc/anacrontab ; then
     cp -f /etc/anacrontab /etc/anacrontab.org
     sed s/run-parts\ /run-parts2\ / </etc/anacrontab.org >/etc/anacrontab
     echo "anacrontab changed"
fi
"

where /site/etc/config/run-parts2 looks like this:

"
#!/bin/bash

if ! ps -A |grep ssh-agent ; then
     run-parts $@
fi
"

After doing this, no (ana)cron-jobs should be running if anyone is
physically logged into a machine.