[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Snd, pd, or CSound?

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Feb 4 12:46:02 2006

"Brian Good":

> Hi all,
>
> After just fooling around with Timidity and Zyn and Muse and ReZound and
> Hydrogen and Rosegarden
> and Audacity for a year, I'm wishing to invest the time in learning Snd or
> pd or CSound.

Well, CSound is probably the most limited of those systems. PD and SND
are (at least traditionally) more expandable. There are also other systems
like chuck or supercollider you might want to consider. But I would like
to recommend some lisp-based systems though (like snd and/or common lisp
music/common music), since, well, lisp is the best programming language.
However, as a starting point, I guess you will have the most fun with PD,
and since you can also use SND, CSound and supercollider inside of
PD, I think PD is a pretty good choise to begin with.

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/LA_SynthesisTools

Luc Tanguay:
> SND is more like Audacity or Rezound.

No its not.