[PlanetCCRMA] should I switch to Fedora Core 4? need opinions...

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Thu Feb 2 13:41:01 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 11:20 -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:15:39 +0200
> Kai Krapu <kkrapu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So to the real issue... for audio work FC3/Planet CCRMA does a great job,
> > but for desktop use can be no match for Ubuntu.
>
> I've never used Ubuntu, so I don't know why it's superior to FC3 for
> desktop use, but I can't imagine that you couldn't set up a desktop
> under FC to behave like an Ubuntu installation.
>
> I'm an oddball when it comes to desktops - I like them lean, and always
> replace the standard Gnome desktop with Fluxbox on my machines.  One of
> the joys of Linux is the ability to change such behavior.  Might this
> be an option for you?

    I have recently switched to FC4/Planet and am very happy with the
system.  I have a C-Port DSP 2000 which is very similar to your EWS88MT
(same chipset and number of ports I believe).  I run KDE for most tasks
but switch to Fluxbox for full recording sessions (8 inputs on my
system).  I've never used Ubuntu but I am pretty happy with the user
experience on FC4.  It is definitely more polished than FC3.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744