[PlanetCCRMA] realtime working?

Tue Aug 29 11:08:01 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 10:57 -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Nate figlar wrote:
> > Brad,
> >
> > On my system I had some changes in start up messages with my pci card
> > that involved the card itself. I cannot remember them exactly but it
> > started with somthing like soft-irq. also you should have some
> > processes if you run top with similar name with realtime and or -2
> > priority. At least that's the changes I noticed in my system.
> Thanks Nate. I checked.
>
> I do have this:
>     2 root      -2   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 softirq-high/0
>     3 root      RT   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 softirq-timer/0
>     4 root      -2   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:01.27 softirq-net-tx/
>     5 root      -2   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:13.87 softirq-net-rx/
>     6 root      -2   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 softirq-block/0
>     7 root      -2   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.02 softirq-tasklet
>     8 root      -2   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 softirq-hrtreal
>     9 root      -2   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:06.21 softirq-hrtmono
>
> I have not had the problems with ccrma FC3 that I have now with FC5 (as
> far as stuttering audio).

So many things have changed it would be hard to know for sure what's
causing the problem.

> I looked in limits.conf and found this as default:
> # or (default) allow everyone access
> *        -    rtprio        99
> *        -    nice        -10
> *        -    memlock        4000000
>
> Does this not let everyone have rt access?

Yes.

> Why would everyone have rt access?

It is not needed that _everyone_ have rt access, the default I chose for
the patched pam is that so that users don't have to edit the file to
allow for rt access. You can restrict it more if you want.

The key also is that the particular application you are using has to use
rt scheduling - jack does and all its clients do, but most probably the
player that the web browser uses does not. I don't know what the changes
are in that respect from fc3.

-- Fernando