[PlanetCCRMA] planetccrma FC5 recompiling kernel problem

Sun Aug 20 11:59:00 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 17:45 +0100, Martin Dupras wrote:
> ok. I thought kernel-smp-devel *was* the sources package. What is it
> then?
>
> Many thanks for the help. Am downloading the src.rpm package now. I'll
> see how I get on.

Sorry about all this.

Software in Linux distributions is mostly distributed in the form of
packages. In the case of redhat/fedora it is rpm packages. Planet CCRMA
kernels are rpm packages and are built from a source package (an rpm as
well), those end in .src.rpm. Installing one puts the original source
and all patches in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ and a file that is used to
orchestrate the build process (a "spec" file) in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS.
You use the rpmbuild command with the spec file as an argument to start
a rebuild. For kernels the process is a bit more complicated and beyond
the scope of this email, I think (you need to specify the architecture
you are building for, etc, etc).

As for your original problem. You seem to have the proper kernel and
kernel-devel packages installed.

> Now today's problem: I need ndiswrapper for my builtin wireless card.
> Unfortunately, 'make' stalls with the following message:
>
> "*** Warning: "there_is_ni_init_MUTEX_LOCKED_for_RT_semaphores"
> [/tmp/ndiswrapper-1.21/driver/ndiswrapper.ko] undefined!"

it looks like ndiswrapper does not like some particular feature of the
realtime preemption kernel (at the source level). That won't be solved
(AFAIK) with a rebuild of the kernel because the sources will be the
same and the result will be the same.

You could try with the .rdt kernel, maybe it will be more friendly to
ndiswrapper. Or maybe you will be forced to use the standard kernel for
ndiswrapper to compile and work. This is, I think, an incompatibility
between the realtime preemption patch and ndiswrapper.

Sorry.

The kernel-devel package is used to build additional kernel modules, it
is not meant to contain everything needed to build another kernel (which
could be build either from original sources and installed manually or
from a source package and installed through "rpm -ivh").

-- Fernando