[PlanetCCRMA] help with planetccrma FC5 install

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Sat Aug 12 07:01:01 2006

On Saturday 12 August 2006 14:53, Martin Dupras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble with a brand new installation of planetccrma FC5 on a
> brand new HP Pavilion dv8263ea, core duo t2400, 1Gb of ram,nvidia geforce
> go 7400.
>
> Any help with any of the following problems would be greatly appreciated!
>
> I've got kernel 2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp.
>
> 1) i can only boot with acpi=off in the command line. I installed the acpi
> packages but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.
>
> 2) i've got an internal intel 3945abg wireless card built in. To get it to
> work, I apparently need ndiswrapper. I compiled ndiswrapper from the
> sources (works) but modprobe ndiswrapper gives:
>
> "FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.16-
> 1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid module format."
>
> 3) Can't install the NVIDIA driver because it appears to not find the
> kernel sources

Hi Martin. You should just need the kernel-devel package which will provide
the kernel headers. Make sure it matches the ccrma kernel you're using.

Someone I saw had problems getting the kernel-devel package for the ccrma
kernel, as, a "yum install kernel-devel" was trying to get a kernel-devel
package for the Fedora kernel. I don't have that problem as I use both Yum,
and Apt on FC5. Apt for Fedora core, updates, and extras repos, and Yum just
for the planetccrma ones. If you have problems, a workaround would be to
temporarily set, Fedora core, updates, and extras repos to "Enabled=0" (not
sure which one is responsible for the kernel-devel package), then you should
only get the option of the kernel-devel package from planetccrma.

Another thing you may have missed from Fernando's posts.  A yum update should
have got you a new version of Yum from planetccrma. This is patched to allow
Yum to install older kernels, but you need to add a line to /etc/yum.conf, as
below.

oldpackage=1

> I've been banging my head for a week trying to solve these problems, but I
> seem to be getting nowhere.
>
> Any help much, much appreciated!
>
> - martin

Sorry I can't help with the other problems, nor with the Nvidia driver itself,
as my graphics are Cyberbladei1, and Rage128 on my 2 machines.

All the best.

Nigel.