[PlanetCCRMA] Problem with getting stereo sound in ARDOUR/QJACKCTL....

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 12:42:01 2005

On 10/22/05, Mirco Scaramucci <mircobeaker@gawab.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
> I am having a really strange problem with Ardour and qjackctl on my
> Fedora 4 machine, kernel 2.6.12-0.12-rdt.rhdc4.ccrma.
> My sound card is is a C-Media CMI88738-MC6 (alsa mixer). My sytem is a
> P4 2.6GHz.
> First of all, after installing all the necessary software fromn planet
> ccrma, I followed the tutorial on your website, as usual, and set up the
> hardisk parameters and all went ok but we it came down to stop the
> alsasound issueing the command: /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop an error
> was returned stating: no such file or directory.
> I then proceeded anyway on trying to start the jack audio server using
> QJACKCTL and all went well.
> I managed to run Rosegarden, qsynth contemporaneously and got a very
> good sound output anyway.
> I then, as a test, tried to load on to the multitrack Ardour ASH's new
> single 6 tracks and all was working well apart from the fact that the
> sound was only coming out of the 2 left speakers and not from the other
> 2 on the right.
> I tried to reset all the connections between alsa and ardour connetcting
> all the available ports and swapping around connections but the most I
> managed to get out of the 2 right speakers was a very loud noice and
> nothing else.
> I also tried changing channels on ardour but nothing worked.
> I then tested Sooperlooper and got the same problem.
> Can anybody tell me please what  I am doing wrong?
>
> PLEASE HELP I need to get this song edited and remixed a.s.a.p and can't
> seem to get over this problem.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>

> Mirco

Hi Mirco,
   I don't know anything at all about this sound chip. I have an 8738
(rev 10) in a machine here but I haven't used it. Is your 88738 number
correct or is that possibly a type?

   Maybe I can fire it up and see what happens. Currently I don't have
support for this chip even built so I'll need to build a new kernel
and modules. That machine is running an older kernel anyway so time
for an update I guess.

   What kernel are you running?

   I have a suspicion that possibly you're in some sort of 6 channel
mode with the chip and not in a stereo mode. Is this possible? If you
run alsamixer (I'm assuming alsamixer supports this device) then do
you see any controls for controling stereo vs. 5.1 modes? Can you
chance them and make a difference?

   If I make any headway I'll get back to you.

Cheers,
Mark