[PlanetCCRMA] Soundblaster Live! 24-bit card

Wed Oct 19 13:15:02 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 12:41 -0400, greg mccourt wrote:
> Yes. I just built a machine with this card a couple months ago. I live and
> work in S.E. Asia and getting anything like an RME card here is near
> impossible---if I import it, there is a 200% luxury tax (plus tips for
> officials).
>
> I haven't tried input, but 2 channel output---haven't tried multiple yet--
> works with CCRMA on FC3 and ALSA. I've never been able to get Jack working.

I don't remember the old thread. Did you try setting Jack to use only
outputs, or only inputs?

If you are using Qjackctl to start Jack look in the "Settings" tab in
Preferences, in "Audio" you should be able to select Duplex, Capture
only and so on and so forth.

Which is exactly the model that is reported by lspci?

> Most of my current work is non-realtime sample rendering, so as long as I
> can read and playback a file, I've been productive. However, I would like
> to get Jack and associated apps working because I'm sure I would take
> advantage of them, eventhough most of what I do involves writing and compiling
> code.
>
> I don't know if it is the soundcard that Jack doesn't like or not. I posted
> my problems a couple months back with the relevant system stats and the only
> response was that everything looked in order: `Jack just doesn't like your
> hardware'. Not much to go on, so I got on with my music projects without Jack.
> But given that this is a recent card from Creative, perhaps IT is causing
> the problem?
>
> I may have messed somethings up myself as I followed another HOWTO when
> initially setting up video apps before installing Planet---video has never
> worked... can't play anything in any app. I'm not too interested in
> video---hell, use the console more than X---so, it wasn't much of a bother.
> It seems nobody else has the problems I have with Jack or video---my karma,
> perhaps (no pun intended). I've considered trying a fresh install doing
> everything CCRMA-pure, but I have quite a bit of backup to do first... and
> a day or two off work.
> I was hoping to do 4.1 work (quad + sub) with this card, but I'm starting
> to think it not possible. At this point I'd be happy to buy a 16bit card
> that works. I find the ALSA soundcard map difficult: why isn't there a
> recommended soundcard list and not-recommended list like what the CUPs
> people do? The soundcard map could be a link to 'maybe'. In my experience,
> getting a soundcard that works with linux has been more frustrating than
> I think it should be. Someone at ALSA please just give a short list of
> what works, what doesn't and point questionable cards to the map. I think
> that would really help people with their hardware purchase.

> BTW: Has CM been upgraded? I tried some of the new examples from the CM
> site and my CCRMA install of CM didn't seem to recognize some forms.

Sorry, no, I have not had time to even think of updates lately (still
building low-noise computers for the new building). We do need a new CM
so it will happen.

-- Fernando