[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA vs the mainstream

Mario Torre mppr_kris@tiscali.it
Tue Oct 18 15:13:01 2005

Jeff Farr wrote:
> currently packaged with planet underlines this point.  Soo many
> programs, soo much overlapping of features and still no one program that
> can do it all.

Hi!

Sure, there is overlapping of features, but remember that linux is not
windows, programs have not to do everything.

I am a long time linux user, in just about 10 years I have seen an
incredible evolution in the quality of the software (I am talking about
"consumer oriented" software, in other words desktop applications).

There is nothing a normal windows/mac user cannot do in linux.

The problem in linux audio is simply a matter of maturity, linux itself
provides a powerful and easy to use (to develop) platform, secure and
stable, an operating system that can use all the resources that the
hardware provides.

This power and flexibility comes at the cost of very specialized
applications.

This means that linux is not easy to use in _every_ professional studio
right now, but can be used if someone needs it.

Compare this situation to the old days where linux had not an office
application, you had to learn latex to write documents (which is by ways
more powerful than anything comparable), now you have the choice between
OpenOffice, KOffice, the Gnome Office Suite (abiword, gnumeric etc...),
and even M$Office if you care.

I have used Ardour sometimes in the last months, just 5 months ago it
looked like the old and ugly StarOffice from Star Division, now, just 5
months later, it is going to a great usability level.

Rosegarden and hydrogen are two great and mature applications. I know
there is more software out there that is just not ready.

Mario