[PlanetCCRMA] dssi problems

Jamie Bullock jamie@postlude.co.uk
Sat Oct 15 01:25:02 2005

Hi Nigel,

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 15:39 +0000, Nigel Henry wrote:
<snip>
> Hi Jamie. Another update on this. Tried trivial_synth, still no sounds and
> extremely confused, so I opened the audio connections in qjackctl, and
> extended alsa_pcm to left and right channels. Only Playback_1 was connected.
> I connected trivial_synth to playback_2 as well and now have sounds from all
> DSSI plugins. I don't know if to feel an idiot or what. Just having tried
> zynaddsubfx again to see how this works in qjackctl's audio connections, I
> get this. If I disconnect playback_2 I lose all sound. Now I presume that
> zynaddsubfx's out_1 and out_2 are left and right channels respectively, and
> that alsa_pcm's playback_1 and playback_2 are also left and right channels.
> Zynaddsubfx is set up as follows.
> out_1 goes to playback_1 and Playback_2
> out_2 goes only to playback_2
So basically what you are saying is that only 'Playback_2' is producing
any output, and you have this channel panned to centre on your hardware
mixing desk, so you never noticed the problem before?

Just a couple more suggestions before I leave you alone:

1. Try switching on the -v 'verbose' flag in Qjackctl, and then examine
the 'Messages' output. Somewhere in the start of the output you should
have something like
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_1, offset = 1024
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_2, offset = 2048
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_1, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_2, offset = 0

Check for any error messages.

2. Turn the jack server off, make sure the relevant channels on your
hardware mixer are panned hard- left and hard-right, and run the
soundcard detection utility from the 'System Settings' menu. If you get
both channels of audio, you most likely have a problem between jack and
ALSA, if you only get one channel you either have an ALSA driver
problem, or it is a hardware fault.

> The thing is, I play my sounds through a DJ mixer into a big sound system,
> and it's not too easy to get a good left and right sound separation, so
> possibly, and I'm quite annoyed about it, have only been getting mono sounds.
> Never mind, mono's all we had in the early 60's. Thanks for the help Jamie.
> Nigel.

No problem, if I had a pound for every time someone had helped me with
stuff like this...

--
Regards,

Jamie