[PlanetCCRMA] dssi problems

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Fri Oct 14 08:55:05 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 15:33, Jamie Bullock wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 12:40 +0000, Nigel Henry wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 2 is MIDI bank 0 program 2,
> > named 'FatThinE.P'
> > jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 1 is MIDI bank 0 program 1,
> > named 'FB:PfVibe '
> > jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 0 is MIDI bank 0 program 0,
> > named 'Elec Piano'
> >
> > jack-dssi-host: OSC URL is:
> > osc.udp://localhost.localdomain:19435/dssi/hexter/hexter/chan00
> >
> > checking hexter_gtk against hexter
> > jack-dssi-host: trying to execute GUI at
> > "/usr/lib/dssi/hexter/hexter_gtk" hexter_gtk starting (pid 4525)...
> > host: Ready
> > jack-dssi-host: OSC: got update request from
> > <osc.udp://localhost.localdomain:19436/dssi/hexter/hexter/chan00>
> > jack-dssi-host: OSC: hexter/hexter/chan00 setting bank 0, program 4, name
> > E.PIANO 3
> > jack-dssi-host: OSC: got midi request for hexter/hexter/chan00 (00 90 3c
> > 54) jack-dssi-host: OSC: got midi request for hexter/hexter/chan00 (00 80
> > 3c 40)
>
> All of this looks fine.
>
> > The last two lines are where I tried the test buttom, but nothing showing
> > when I press keys on the usb midi keyboard. There clearly is a connection
> > from the keyboard to the app as I can change programs. Now I wasn't sure
> > whether I needed a soundfont loaded into the Audigy2 soundblaster for
> > these dssi plugins to work, so I loaded a soundfont, but no change. Then
> > I started Rosegarden as the soundfont was already loaded, selected hextor
> > as a plugin, and it works. I would imagine now though, that it's going
> > through Rosegarden and using the soundfont I loaded onto the soundcard.
> > Mystified. Nigel.
>
> Yes you are right, the Audigy native soundfont support is absolutely
> nothing to do with DSSI. A couple more things you could try:
>
> 1. Install the dssi-devel package if you don't already have it, and try
> running trivial_synth.so and less_trivial_synth.so. They are both
> extremely simple, so it might be worth seeing what they do.
>
> 2. I would be interested to see if my DSSI host for PD works on your
> system. You can get it from http://www.puredata.org/Members/jb. It is
> still under development, and I would only bother if you already know a
> little PD.
>
> Incidentally does LADSPA work on your system?
>
> Jamie

Hi Jamie. I'll try trivial_synth, but just a bit of an update. I'd botched the
syntax for starting fluidsynth, forgetting to put fluidsynth-dssi to run it.
Got that up, and it asked for a soundfont, so I put the same one in it that's
loaded into the soundcard, and this does work ok. Test sound works, and
keyboard plays ok. Both Hextor and Xsynth show they have sounds installed,
but don't play them. I've DL'd some dx7 patches for Hextor. I think I'll
import them and see if they will play. LADSPA and all of it's plugins are
installed, but I can't remember using them up to now. It was enough of a
hassle getting to record something on Rosegarden without adding effects to
it. I know absolutely nothing about PD, but will certainly look at it. Thanks
for the help. Nigel.