[PlanetCCRMA] dssi problems

Jamie Bullock jamie@postlude.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 08:34:01 2005

Hi Nigel,

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 12:40 +0000, Nigel Henry wrote:
<snip>

> jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 2 is MIDI bank 0 program 2, named
> 'FatThinE.P'
> jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 1 is MIDI bank 0 program 1, named
> 'FB:PfVibe '
> jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 0 is MIDI bank 0 program 0, named
> 'Elec Piano'
>
> jack-dssi-host: OSC URL is:
> osc.udp://localhost.localdomain:19435/dssi/hexter/hexter/chan00
>
> checking hexter_gtk against hexter
> jack-dssi-host: trying to execute GUI at "/usr/lib/dssi/hexter/hexter_gtk"
> hexter_gtk starting (pid 4525)...
> host: Ready
> jack-dssi-host: OSC: got update request from
> <osc.udp://localhost.localdomain:19436/dssi/hexter/hexter/chan00>
> jack-dssi-host: OSC: hexter/hexter/chan00 setting bank 0, program 4, name
> E.PIANO 3
> jack-dssi-host: OSC: got midi request for hexter/hexter/chan00 (00 90 3c 54)
> jack-dssi-host: OSC: got midi request for hexter/hexter/chan00 (00 80 3c 40)

All of this looks fine.

> The last two lines are where I tried the test buttom, but nothing showing when
> I press keys on the usb midi keyboard. There clearly is a connection from the
> keyboard to the app as I can change programs. Now I wasn't sure whether I
> needed a soundfont loaded into the Audigy2 soundblaster for these dssi
> plugins to work, so I loaded a soundfont, but no change. Then I started
> Rosegarden as the soundfont was already loaded, selected hextor as a plugin,
> and it works. I would imagine now though, that it's going through Rosegarden
> and using the soundfont I loaded onto the soundcard. Mystified. Nigel.

Yes you are right, the Audigy native soundfont support is absolutely
nothing to do with DSSI. A couple more things you could try:

1. Install the dssi-devel package if you don't already have it, and try
running trivial_synth.so and less_trivial_synth.so. They are both
extremely simple, so it might be worth seeing what they do.

2. I would be interested to see if my DSSI host for PD works on your
system. You can get it from http://www.puredata.org/Members/jb. It is
still under development, and I would only bother if you already know a
little PD.

Incidentally does LADSPA work on your system?

Jamie