[PlanetCCRMA] dssi problems

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Fri Oct 14 07:56:03 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 08:35, Jamie Bullock wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 22:24 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Having nothing better to do and wanting to try new synths, I thought I'd
> > have a go at dssi, also theres a new synth called whysynth that looks
> > interesting. I DL'd with apt-get to one of my FC2 installs, dssi, hexter,
> > and Xsynth-DSSI. I'm not sure how dssi works, but anyway started jack
> > through qjackctl, and Xsynth-DSSI was showing as connected on the audio
> > side. Next connected my
>
> dssi is basically an API that adds some extra functionality on top of
> LADSPA, namely OSC, usually via a GUI, and MIDI. The plugins require a
> host to manage communication between the GUI and the plugin, and
> connection to audio and midi drivers (usually jack/alsa). If you launch
> a plugin via your Gnome menu or whatever, it will launch jack-dssi-host
> as the host. For diagnostics, I recommend that you run this manually
> from the command line with:
>
> jack-dssi-host -v yourplugin.so
>
> This will give verbose output, and perhaps a better clue as to what the
> problem is.
>
> Also, do you get any audio when clicking on the "send test note" button
> in the GUI? If not, the verbose flag will tell you whether the midi
> request is reaching the host or not.
>
> Jamie

Hi Jamie. Sorry for the delay. I've been arguing with it for about 4 hours. No
sounds at all when I press the test button. Zilch. Output of
jack-dssi-host -v hextor.so  below.

[djmons@localhost djmons]$ jack-dssi-host -v hexter.so

jack-dssi-host: Warning: DSSI path not set
jack-dssi-host: Defaulting to
"/usr/local/lib/dssi:/usr/lib/dssi:/home/djmons/.dssi"

jack-dssi-host: Looking for library "hexter.so" in /usr/local/lib/dssi... not
found: /usr/local/lib/dssi/hexter.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
jack-dssi-host: Looking for library "hexter.so" in /usr/lib/dssi... found
jack-dssi-host: instance  0 on channel  0, plugin  0 is "hexter/hexter/chan00"
jack-dssi-host: registering osc.udp://localhost.localdomain:19435/dssi
jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 127 is MIDI bank 0 program 127,
named '   <-->   '
jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 126 is MIDI bank 0 program 126,
named '   <-->   '
jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 125 is MIDI bank 0 program 125,
named '

<snip>

jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 2 is MIDI bank 0 program 2, named
'FatThinE.P'
jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 1 is MIDI bank 0 program 1, named
'FB:PfVibe '
jack-dssi-host: hexter/hexter/chan00 program 0 is MIDI bank 0 program 0, named
'Elec Piano'

jack-dssi-host: OSC URL is:
osc.udp://localhost.localdomain:19435/dssi/hexter/hexter/chan00

checking hexter_gtk against hexter
jack-dssi-host: trying to execute GUI at "/usr/lib/dssi/hexter/hexter_gtk"
hexter_gtk starting (pid 4525)...
host: Ready
jack-dssi-host: OSC: got update request from
<osc.udp://localhost.localdomain:19436/dssi/hexter/hexter/chan00>
jack-dssi-host: OSC: hexter/hexter/chan00 setting bank 0, program 4, name
E.PIANO 3
jack-dssi-host: OSC: got midi request for hexter/hexter/chan00 (00 90 3c 54)
jack-dssi-host: OSC: got midi request for hexter/hexter/chan00 (00 80 3c 40)

The last two lines are where I tried the test buttom, but nothing showing when
I press keys on the usb midi keyboard. There clearly is a connection from the
keyboard to the app as I can change programs. Now I wasn't sure whether I
needed a soundfont loaded into the Audigy2 soundblaster for these dssi
plugins to work, so I loaded a soundfont, but no change. Then I started
Rosegarden as the soundfont was already loaded, selected hextor as a plugin,
and it works. I would imagine now though, that it's going through Rosegarden
and using the soundfont I loaded onto the soundcard. Mystified. Nigel.