[PlanetCCRMA] dssi problems

Jamie Bullock jamie@postlude.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 01:36:01 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 22:24 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Having nothing better to do and wanting to try new synths, I thought I'd have
> a go at dssi, also theres a new synth called whysynth that looks interesting.
> I DL'd with apt-get to one of my FC2 installs, dssi, hexter, and Xsynth-DSSI.
> I'm not sure how dssi works, but anyway started jack through qjackctl, and
> Xsynth-DSSI was showing as connected on the audio side. Next connected my
dssi is basically an API that adds some extra functionality on top of
LADSPA, namely OSC, usually via a GUI, and MIDI. The plugins require a
host to manage communication between the GUI and the plugin, and
connection to audio and midi drivers (usually jack/alsa). If you launch
a plugin via your Gnome menu or whatever, it will launch jack-dssi-host
as the host. For diagnostics, I recommend that you run this manually
from the command line with:

jack-dssi-host -v yourplugin.so

This will give verbose output, and perhaps a better clue as to what the
problem is.

Also, do you get any audio when clicking on the "send test note" button
in the GUI? If not, the verbose flag will tell you whether the midi
request is reaching the host or not.

Jamie