[PlanetCCRMA] No basic sound.

Robert Jonkman yeahtuna@lansoundstream.com
Tue Oct 11 21:52:01 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 18:34 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 03:50 +0800, Robert Jonkman wrote:
> > > Most likely you're looking in the wrong place for this one. It doesn't
> > > sound like a modules problem to me, but far mor an application
> > > capabilities issue.
> > >
> > > What do you mean 'don't work'? Does the GUI not come up? Does the GUI
> > > come up but menus don't work? Does everythign work visually but your
> > > don't get sound? If you don't get sound then from what media are you
> > > trying to get sound? CDs? mp3s? Something else?
> > >
> > > We'll need some more info.
> >
> > All the program start up and I see their gui's, however they are not
> > capable of actually playing.  For example, if lanch xmms by double
> > clicking on an .ogg file, it just opens up the 'load media' dialog box.
> > Choosing another mp3 or .ogg from this dialog results in nothing.
> > Switching to the jack plug-in for xmms fails to show up in Jack.
> > Nothing can actually play any sound other than application that
> > specifically designed to connect to jack....and yes, I have been
> > terminating my jack sessions before trying to get the programs to run.
> > I'll keep playing around with it.  I remember that xmms-jack used to
> > work.  I'm not exactly sure what's different; I have been fiddling
> > around with everything :(
>
> Try playing a plain wav file using aplay, just a basic test to see if
> alsa is working fine.
>
> -- Fernando

I'm feeling a little embarrassed.  The file I was trying to test
everything was an .ogg file which had been encoded at 48khz.  The other
files I had tried were all mp3s. Aplay worked perfectly fine on the wav
file and that's when I realized the problem.  Thanks Fernando.

Now both Music Player and xmms claim to support mp3's but I can clearly
see that this is not the case.  What do you guys use to play mp3s?