[PlanetCCRMA] Lost in the backroads..

Jeff Farr Jeff Farr <moogah@gmail.com>
Sun Oct 9 17:46:00 2005

------=_Part_17250_31460889.1128905114784

Ok, thanks for the help. I had a feeling alot of this is total newbie stuff=
,
I'm searching the archives, but there is so much to learn (I'm new to linux
in general) that I'm moving in circles alot. So, I start jack using jackd,
but now when I open jackRack I get the message "Cannot open ALSA sequencer,
No such file or directory". Should the terminal that I start jack in not go
back to a prompt (ie: right now it is stopped on "nperiods =3D 2 for
playback")? things like alsaplayer won't run untill I close the terminal
with jack running. apt-get install planetccrma-core and
planetccrma-audioapps is what I used, and it shows that I have the latest
version. However, I haven't been able to find some programs like KConnect
and QJackConnect. I should mention that there is an on board sound card, bu=
I have it disabled in the bios. Is this possibly getting booted as the main
device (I would doubt this as envy24control and the other mixers bring up
the interface for the Delta). I'm also doing a parallel install on a Dell
Latitude C600, and that is working a bit better, however, there are alot of
pops and clicks, I assume ALSA configs are the place to look to fix this,
but again I am a bit lost on how to do it.

How do I go about checking that alsa is properly installed? Also, snd cased
my computer to lock up earlier today when I attempted to record, I could
open a file but clicking on the play button in the lower right had no
effect. Trying to play a file in Helix brings message "unable to open the
audio device, another app may be using it" when I open a file.

On 10/9/05, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:

> On Sunday 09 October 2005 16:59, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Sunday 09 October 2005 16:49, Jeff Farr wrote:
> > > So I've gotten the low latency kernel up and running on FC3 running a=
> > > ABit NF7 MB which uses the nForce2 chipset, found my MAudio 1010LT an=
> > > used envy24 to get hardware monitoring working so that I can now use
> my
> > > computer as a mixer like I did in windows. Problem is, almost none of
> the
> > > applications in pCCRMA will run, most just fizzle on startup and I
> never
> > > even see a GUI element for them. When I start jack this is the output
> > > get using jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100
> > >
> > > jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are=
:
> > > =3Dep cap_setpcap-ep
> > > probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
> > > a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=3Deip"
> > >
> > > back from read, ret =3D 1 errno =3D=3D Success
> > > jackstart: could not give capabilities: Operation not permitted
> > > jackd 0.99.36
> > > Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> > > jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> > > This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> > > under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> > >
> > > JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> > > apparent rate =3D 44100
> > > creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> > > configuring for 44100Hz, period =3D 1024 frames, buffer =3D 2 periods
> > > nperiods =3D 2 for capture
> > > nperiods =3D 2 for playback
> > > jack main caught signal 2
> > > no message buffer overruns
> > >
> > > and I've yet to be able to hear something using rythembox or get soun=
> at
> > > all for that matter, hydrogen doesn't do anything for example.
> > > I've also found that my IRQ settings are not ideal, but aside from th=
> > > physical card shuffling I'm not sure how to change their addresses (m=
> > > sound card is on IRQ5) Are there any utilities for doing this?
> >
> > Hi Jeff. I found with FC3 that I needed to get packages that come using
> > apt-get install planetccrma-core . This provides packages for realtime
> "rtirq &
> > rtload" , also alsa-oss, alsa-tools, and alsa-firmware. I also got the
> > package, apt-get install planetccrma-core-edge. Another thing. and I
> don't
> start
> > jack off the CLI but from qjackctl, is to use jackd rather than
> jackstart,
> > as jackstart is just for the 2.4 kernels. All the best. Nigel.
>
> Sorry for the double posting, Konqueror didn't have the reply to all on
> it.
> and the post hasn't turned up on the ccrma list.

------=_Part_17250_31460889.1128905114784

Ok, thanks for the help.&nbsp; I had a feeling alot of this is total
newbie stuff, I'm searching the archives, but there is so much to learn
(I'm new to linux in general) that I'm moving in circles alot.&nbsp;
So, I start jack using jackd, but now when I open jackRack I get the
message &quot;Cannot open ALSA sequencer, No such file or directory&quot;.&=
nbsp;
Should the terminal that I start jack in not go back to a prompt (ie:
right now it is stopped on &quot;nperiods =3D 2 for playback&quot;)?&nbsp; =
things
like alsaplayer won't run untill I close the terminal with jack
running.&nbsp;&nbsp; apt-get install planetccrma-core and
planetccrma-audioapps is what I used, and it shows that I have the
latest version.&nbsp; However, I haven't been able to find some
programs like KConnect and QJackConnect.&nbsp; I should mention that
there is an on board sound card, but I have it disabled in the
bios.&nbsp; Is this possibly getting booted as the main device (I would
doubt this as envy24control and the other mixers bring up the interface
for the Delta).&nbsp; I'm also doing a parallel install on a Dell
Latitude C600, and that is working a bit better, however, there are
alot of pops and clicks, I assume ALSA configs are the place to look to
fix this, but again I am a bit lost on how to do it.&nbsp; <br>
How do I go about checking that alsa is properly installed?&nbsp; Also,
snd cased my computer to lock up earlier today when I attempted to
record, I could open a file but clicking on the play button in the
lower right had no effect.&nbsp; Trying to play a file in Helix brings
message &quot;unable to open the audio device, another app may be using it&=
quot;
 class=3D"gmail_sendername">Nigel Henry</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cave.dnb@=
tiscali.fr">cave.dnb@tiscali.fr</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"g=
mail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt=
 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
On Sunday 09 October 2005 16:59, Nigel Henry wrote:<br>&gt; On Sunday 09 Oc=
tober 2005 16:49, Jeff Farr wrote:<br>&gt; &gt; So I've gotten the low late=
ncy kernel up and running on FC3 running an<br>&gt; &gt; ABit NF7 MB which =
uses the nForce2 chipset, found my MAudio 1010LT and
now use my<br>&gt; &gt; computer as a mixer like I did in windows. Problem =
is, almost none of the<br>&gt; &gt; applications in pCCRMA will run, most j=
ust fizzle on startup and I never
e output I<br>&gt; &gt; get using jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100<br>&g=
t; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current c=
apabilities are:
rnel with capabilities disabled,<br>&gt; &gt; a suitable kernel would have =
printed something like &quot;=3Deip&quot;<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; back fr=
om read, ret =3D 1 errno =3D=3D Success
ed<br>&gt; &gt; jackd 0.99.36<br>&gt; &gt; Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis a=
nd others.<br>&gt; &gt; jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY<br>&gt; &gt=
; This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; JACK compiled with System V SHM support.<br>&gt; &g=
t; loading driver ..<br>&gt; &gt; apparent rate =3D 44100<br>&gt; &gt; crea=
ting alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
 periods<br>&gt; &gt; nperiods =3D 2 for capture<br>&gt; &gt; nperiods =3D =
2 for playback<br>&gt; &gt; jack main caught signal 2<br>&gt; &gt; no messa=
ge buffer overruns
rythembox or get sound at<br>&gt; &gt; all for that matter, hydrogen doesn'=
t do anything for example.<br>&gt; &gt; I've also found that my IRQ setting=
s are not ideal, but aside from the
esses (my<br>&gt; &gt; sound card is on IRQ5) Are there any utilities for d=
oing this?<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Hi Jeff. I found with FC3 that I needed to get p=
ackages that come using
time<br>&quot;rtirq &amp;<br>&gt; rtload&quot; , also alsa-oss, alsa-tools,=
 and alsa-firmware. I also got the<br>&gt; package, apt-get install planetc=
crma-core-edge. Another thing. and I don't
r than jackstart,<br>&gt; as jackstart is just for the 2.4 kernels. All the=
 best. Nigel.<br><br>Sorry for the double posting, Konqueror didn't have th=
e reply to all on it.

------=_Part_17250_31460889.1128905114784--