[PlanetCCRMA] rosegarden -- synth only plays one instrument

csynan csynan@dataworlds.com
Sun Oct 9 12:25:02 2005

------_SmarterMail_NextPart_6118084048211152

hi, i am new to midi and to rosegarden.. I like the app a lot, but I am hav=
ing one problem that is keeping me from using it to its full potential.=0D=
=0A=0D=0A In rosegarden, I create two tracks and MIDI events (notes) inform=
ation on them.  Track 1 is assigned to MIDI channel 1, and is assigned (in =
RG) to Acoustic Grand.  Track 2 is assigned to midi channel 2, and is a dif=
ferent instrument, say slap bass.  This all appears OK, but I am having tro=
uble getting my synth to do the right thing (so technically i don't think i=
t is a problem with rosegarden, it's user error)=0D=0A=0D=0A my synth (enso=
niq e-prime) supposedly has plenty of tracks, channels, multi timbral etc. =
 all things I dont fully understand but I assume that it should be able to =
play the acoustic grand track and the slap bass track simultaneously.  But =
I cannot get it to do so.  =0D=0A=0D=0A I can get it to ignore the channel =
2 (by default it wants to recieve all MIDI info over channel 1???) or I can=
 set it to read from all tracks, but it plays it back using the current ins=
trument on the synth, rather than taking the instruments from RG.   So in e=
ffect it ignores the instrument definitions from RG and just plays whatever=
 instrument on the synth, say alto sax, for both channels.  I have tried al=
l combinations and no success.=0D=0A=0D=0A Admittedly I am a midi newbie, b=
ut i have read the RG info and the synth info and I am definitely missing s=
omething.  If someone could point me in the right direction i could get bac=
k to writing my great masterpiece :)=0D=0A=0D=0A thanks!!=0D=0A=0D=0A

------_SmarterMail_NextPart_6118084048211152

hi, i am new to midi and to rosegarden.. I like the app a lot, but I am hav=
ing one problem that is keeping me from using it to its full potential.<br =
/> <br /> In rosegarden, I create two tracks and MIDI events (notes) inform=
ation on them.&nbsp; Track 1 is assigned to MIDI channel 1, and is assigned=
 (in RG) to Acoustic Grand.&nbsp; Track 2 is assigned to midi channel 2, an=
d is a different instrument, say slap bass.&nbsp; This all appears OK, but =
I am having trouble getting my synth to do the right thing (so technically =
i don't think it is a problem with rosegarden, it's user error)<br /> <br /=
> my synth (ensoniq e-prime) supposedly has plenty of tracks, channels, mul=
ti timbral etc.&nbsp; all things I dont fully understand but I assume that =
it should be able to play the acoustic grand track and the slap bass track =
simultaneously.&nbsp; But I cannot get it to do so.&nbsp; <br /> <br /> I c=
an get it to ignore the channel 2 (by default it wants to recieve all MIDI =
info over channel 1???) or I can set it to read from all tracks, but it pla=
ys it back using the current instrument on the synth, rather than taking th=
e instruments from RG.&nbsp;&nbsp; So in effect it ignores the instrument d=
efinitions from RG and just plays whatever instrument on the synth, say alt=
o sax, for both channels.&nbsp; I have tried all combinations and no succes=
s.<br /> <br /> Admittedly I am a midi newbie, but i have read the RG info =
and the synth info and I am definitely missing something.&nbsp; If someone =