[PlanetCCRMA] Most stable CCRMA with all audio video apps

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Sat Oct 8 22:59:02 2005

spec asked:

>could you check the gem example in 01. basic folder called 08. model and see if that crashes one of your nvidia pc's you have to use it a bit first rotate/resize.<

Well, I tried a few things from the gem examples and realized how much I don't know ;)

I could do a few of the open-gl things but I did notice that it was very easy to get gem confused and have the display just sit there in a stupor for a second or two.

One time I managed to lock X up pretty hard, but doing a "ctrl-alt-F2" and waiting a few seconds gave me a very responsive terminal that I was able to do root on and check things out.  My only problem was that I wanted to be too inquisitive and hit "alt-F7" to get back to X and found a very blank screen there.  Upon trying to get a virtual terminal again, it just wasn't going to leave that black screen.  I then asked a housemate to ssh into my machine, which was very snappy in ssh.  We then checked out a few things, killed the gem/pd stuff running and still black screen here.  Xinit was running on the machine, but I don't know if X was fried out or something had gone south with the display settings in it*.  In the end we just told the machine to reboot remotely(it was a clean reboot).

*I use a 23" apple lcd display(1900x1200) with a converter box from the dvi output on the video card.  This thing is always "so much fun(NOT)" to set up the xorg config file for and from my experience there it could have been that X may have not crashed as much as it messed up the video?

Open-gl works fine in other things on this machine(like playing world of warcraft under wine in a 1280x1024 box(25-100FPS) while playing music with jack running).  This all confuses me down the path that gem and the open-gl drivers/libraries may be a little messed up?  Sorry I can't help you more.

Tracey.