[PlanetCCRMA] M-Audio Audiophile 2496 not working

Tim Meissner bats9red@sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 8 09:26:01 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 14:25 +0200, Erich Geiger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard PCI to work
> with CCRMA Fedora Core 3. But i have no success with the sound from this
> card.
> I was previously using an Soundcard ( CMI8738 ) this did
> work with the CCRMA Fedora Core 3, after the change to the M-Audio
> Audiophile 2496 on the same system with the same CCRMA Fedora Core 3 no
> more sound is available.
> If i am booting on the same system the Linux Live System ( Knoppix Ver
> 3.9 27.05.2005 ) from the CDROM then the M-Audio Audiophile 2496
> Soundcard is working, if am using on the same system my Windows XP
> partition ( i have dual boot setup on my PC ) then the Soundcard is
> working.
>
> Details from the CCRAM with Fedora Core 3
> ====================
> cat /proc/asound/version
> ====================
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.9rc1.
> Compiled on Mar 22 2005 for kernel 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrmasmp (SMP).
> ====================
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> ====================
> 0 [M2496          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
>                      M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0x9000, irq 169
> ====================
> cat /proc/asound/devices
> ====================
>   8: [0- 0]: raw midi
>  16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
>  24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
>   0: [0- 0]: ctl
>   1:       : sequencer
>  33:       : timer
> ====================
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
> ====================
> Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
> ====================
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
> ====================
> Starting sound driver snd-ice1712                          [  OK  ]
> Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
> Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi                     [  OK  ]
> Restoring sound driver settings                            [  OK  ]
> ====================
> tail -f /var/log/messages
> ====================
> Oct  7 21:51:06 medion alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-ice1712
> succeeded
> Oct  7 21:51:07 medion alsasound: Starting sequencer succeeded
> Oct  7 21:51:07 medion alsasound: Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi
> succeeded
> Oct  7 21:51:07 medion alsasound: Restoring sound driver settings
> succeeded
> ====================
> aplay -l
> ====================
> *** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi
> [ICE1712 multi]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
> [...]
The 2496 works in 24-bit (I think), so you need rate conversion on-the-
fly.  ALSA does this with the "plughw" plugin, so if you change the
above command to

	aplay -D plughw /sound-sample.wav

you should get sound.  Maybe someone else can explain further, as I have
had problems changing my "default" plugin so that ALSA can work
seemlessly with all my non-jack apps.  I just play dumb and use jack as
much as possible. :-)