[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Kernel compilation

Luis Garrido garrido_luis@hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 08:10:02 2005

Hi, Mark!

Thanks for your answer. Yup, I know from other postings of yours that you
have spent a lot of time tweaking and optimizing, so I appreciate you share
your expertise.

Talking about safety, what I am concerned about is that having a Fedora
based system, not applying Fedora patches may break things up.

Other problem I see is the huge amount of time one has to invest in tweaking
a kernel (identifying hardware, finding the right config values, etc.) when
the gain might in the end be marginal, but your numbers sound good to me ;-)
OTOH, an AMD64 system has probably more room for improvement than an Intel
one when compared to a generic i686 build like Nando's.

Just one way to find it out, I guess.

Cheers,

Luis