[PlanetCCRMA] snd - nothing but hiss

Peter Lutek plutek@infinity.net
Mon Oct 3 06:16:01 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

>Hi,
>   When I run snd and load an ogg file I seem to get nothing but hiss.
>Is this expected?
>
>   Also, on another list snd was recommended as a Jack-aware editor
>but I Cannot find any mention of Jack in it's online manual, located
>here:
>
>http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/snd.html
>
>Does snd understand Jack?

yes. my planet-ccrma snd works fine with jack. see the notes about snd
at http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/soundapps.html  --
they indicate that this version was compiled with alsa and jack support.

the manual lists ogg as "automatically translated to a format snd can
read" -- see http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/snd.html#openfile

so far, trying to open ogg just gets me "Ogg Vorbis header: unknown
(0x0) data format."
i think there's a scheme function you have to use to accomplish this,
but i really haven't been interested in editting ogg, so haven't pursued it.

sorry i'm not juch help on that one!