[PlanetCCRMA] M-Audio Audiophile USB

Sat Oct 1 14:19:00 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 15:25 -0400, Michael Peters wrote:
> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> > Michael Peters wrote:
> >> But that still leaves me with the problem of having it appear in the
> >> connection window, audio tab under Qjackctl. The midi appears just fine.
> >> Any pointers?
> >>

> > Let me clarify something I believe you're missing:
> >
> > If you're seeing at least one "alsa_pcm" entry under the Audio
> > connections tab, than that's a sign that things are working properly, as
> > expected. Those are the official names for the client ports that
> > represent your soundcard interface, as thru the designated ALSA JACK
> > backend. You must have jackd started alright, before you see anything of
> > this.
>
> I do see one alsa_pcm (with capture1, capture2, playback1, playback2)
> but I see that one without the usb m-audio audiophile connected. I know
> that one works as I played with recording from the on-board sound card
> (intel8x0) when I was just getting started.
>
> Since the USB card doesn't come with a mixer how do I select the
> inputs/outputs of it rather than the onboard sound card? I assumed they
> would show up in the connect window in qjackctl and I could pick from there.

Jack can only use one card at a time and yours is not the first one
which is the default (see what you have in 'cat /proc/asound/cards',
they are there with a zero based index).

You can choose which card in the "Setup" dialog of qjackctl, yours
should be, I think, "hw:2". USB soundcards are tricky to set up to work
well with Jack... try with 3 periods or more and sampling rate of
48000.

-- Fernando