[PlanetCCRMA] A couple of fedora-3 little things

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Tue Mar 29 20:32:01 2005

Shorter post this time ...

I saw a few messages here with peoples modprobe.conf in them and I just wanted to mention a couple of things that I encountered on the last fc3 setup I did:

1. This one I didn't have the time to figure out but in my modprobe I could only get the sound system working when I used:

        alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
        options snd-card-0 index=0

When I tried to use,

        alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
        options snd-ice1712 index=0

I could not get alsa working properly.

This is only a heads up that that happened on my installation, but it might be interesting to hear if anyone else had that problem?

2. I also ran the invidia installer program on the machine and learned a lot about udev file system of fc3.  Do a "man udev" and check out the stuff in "/etc/udev", especially "/etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions"

Interesting stuff in there.

Needless to say, this file has a lot of control over who has permissions of many of the devices on the system.  Also, if you upgrade the udev system(there was one recently) it will replace this file with a system default(I learned the hard way after getting open-gl working and seeing it dissapear after an upgrade).

Tracey