[PlanetCCRMA] Updaters. A personal observation

nigel henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Mon Mar 28 13:14:01 2005

Hi folks. Just a little something to break up the really heavy stuff. We'll
put Mandrake to one side caus on my latest re-install of Mandrake 10.0 it
seems you have to pay and join the Mandrake club to get updates! Right. That
out of the way, FC! and FC2 I'm very happy with, apart from up2date. I've had
up to 40+ instances of up2date started to try and get an update completed.
Perhaps it's my machines, but it seems to freeze continually, then you have
to start it again and it starts from point "0" for your update. Same goes if
you get timed out by you're ISP. I' m on dial-up. Since finding planetccrma
and apt, I've never been happier with updates. Apt not only works, but has
resume support if you lose your connection, has a time out on the shell, so
you only have to run perhaps, apt-get dist-upgrade again, and it carries on
where it left off.  Yum works easily as well for getting Fedora Legacy
updates for FC1 and earlier. The only downside is that if you lose your
Internet connection it doesn't time-out. You have to close the terminal in a
bit of an undignified way and re-open it, and run Yum update again. Not such
a big deal, as at least it again carries on from where it left off. This
afternoon just passing time on planetccrma webpages I found a link for sound
stuff for Slackware, and another link for an updater for Slackware
"slapt-get" . This is the first time I've been able to get updates for
Slackware 10.0 and they are running at the moment. Its apt, but yum, caus it
works well with resume support but, if you lose your connection you have to
re-start the shell terminal and run slapt-get --upgrade again. If Mark Knecht
is reading this I'd be interested in how you get on with up2date, and if
you'd had any of the constant freezing problems that I've experienced. Nigel.