[PlanetCCRMA] amSynth problem in FC3

Bradley S. Campbell bsc3j@virginia.edu
Sat Mar 12 08:43:01 2005

Hello all,

While I'm not a linux newbie per se, I am rather new to dealing with the
sound aspects of the system, which seem so much more complicated than
other problems I've run into -- anyways, I'll cut to the quick of it.
I'm running FC3 under the "edge" (2.9.*.rdt) kernel -- I've only
installed a few sound-related apps -- Hydrogen and amSynth.  I start
amSynth from the command-line, and I get this output in my shell console:

amSynth 1.0.0
Copyright 2001-2004 Nick Dowell and others.
amSynth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:446:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
such file or directory
Error opening ALSA sequencer.
6 audio buffer underruns occurred

I left everything in the .amsynthrc file as it was (for lack of knowing
what to change), with the exception of changing the sampling rate to
48000.  Can anyone offer suggestions on how to get amsynth to work?
Also, can anyone point me in the direction of something I could read
that can describe alsa, jack, oss, and their interaction with the kernel
so I might be able to hack through some of this stuff on my own without
having to bother everyone with posts :-) ?

Specs:
Dell OptiPlex GX400
640 MB ECC-DDR RAM
1.8GHz Pentium IV (no HT)
Audio Type:  Soundblaster emulation
Audio Controller:  Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec w/ 16-bit stereo
conversion