[PlanetCCRMA] Connecting multiface after startup

Fri Mar 4 16:18:00 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 12:18, Aengus Martin wrote:
> I have a nicely working fc3 system on a laptop with an RME
> PCMCIA+multiface setup (thanks all concerned at Planet CCRMA). I have
> a small question which may reveal as much about my lack of
> understanding about linux starting up as anything else:
>
> If I forget to plug in the multiface before I up the laptop, how do I
> get it working after I plug it in?
>
> hdsploader gives an error about the multiface not being found.
>
> When I do plug it in before startup, the "host error" light on the
> multiface box goes out as soon as the line "initializing... storage
> network audio" completes after init starts, but I can't find what
> process or script is being run which generates this line.

The sound startup process is now started (in fc3) in
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (that's the main "early" startup of the whole
system).

What happens if you plug it in after the boot finishes? The firmware
loader should be activated by hotplug but I don't know what happens if
the pci card is seen but there's not external box attached.

You could try, as root, to unload and reload all of alsa, you can do
that with:
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
-- Fernando