[PlanetCCRMA] Java question

Tue Mar 1 17:53:01 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 17:19, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 01 Mar 2005 16:15:11 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 15:53, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >    On a Morningstar page I get a message
> > >
> > > "This page contains information of a type (application/x-java-vm) that
> > > can only be viewed with the appropriate Plug-in."
> > >
> > > What do people install on a FC2/Planet system to get past this? If you
> > > can please do an "rpm -qa | grep whatever" so I can hopefully find it
> > > more easily.
> >
> > Dag's repository has java packages for mozilla, see:
> >
> >   http://dag.wieers.com/packages/j2re/
> >
> > That will require the j2re packages that he also hosts. You can download
> > directly from the above page or add the proper apt urls and download
> > them through apt or synaptic (but I would disable the dag urls after you
> > explicitly install what you need).
>
> Now, I've been a bit nervous about installing RPMs from anywhere else
> since David Hill posted this link about FC3:
>
> http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html#Warning
>
> Granted, it hasn't stopped me in the most benign cases, like unrar or
> something like that, but Java is a pretty major component that links
> itself in to so many places and I haven't been quite bold enough to do
> that on my own.
>
> You think the DAG repository is safe?

Yes, it is.

That does not mean you should do a "dist-upgrade" including dag. Not
that that would be a problem but here's what I normally do: enable the
extra repositories that I know have the stuff I need, apt-get install
only the stuff I need (and any dependencies), disable the extra
repositories.

> I think it would be a great user contribution for a number of folks to
> come up with a standard, tested and presumably safe way to add other
> repositories so that we aren't all doing different things. (Just my 2
> cents...)

-- Fernando