[PlanetCCRMA] Java question

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Tue Mar 1 17:20:01 2005

On 01 Mar 2005 16:15:11 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 15:53, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    On a Morningstar page I get a message
> >
> > "This page contains information of a type (application/x-java-vm) that
> > can only be viewed with the appropriate Plug-in."
> >
> > What do people install on a FC2/Planet system to get past this? If you
> > can please do an "rpm -qa | grep whatever" so I can hopefully find it
> > more easily.
>
> Dag's repository has java packages for mozilla, see:
>
>   http://dag.wieers.com/packages/j2re/
>
> That will require the j2re packages that he also hosts. You can download
> directly from the above page or add the proper apt urls and download
> them through apt or synaptic (but I would disable the dag urls after you
> explicitly install what you need).
>
> -- Fernando

Thanks Fernando.

Now, I've been a bit nervous about installing RPMs from anywhere else
since David Hill posted this link about FC3:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html#Warning

Granted, it hasn't stopped me in the most benign cases, like unrar or
something like that, but Java is a pretty major component that links
itself in to so many places and I haven't been quite bold enough to do
that on my own.

You think the DAG repository is safe?

I think it would be a great user contribution for a number of folks to
come up with a standard, tested and presumably safe way to add other
repositories so that we aren't all doing different things. (Just my 2
cents...)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark