[PlanetCCRMA] updated: apt for fc3

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Mon Jan 24 18:47:02 2005

On 24 Jan 2005 17:25:54 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> >         Install-Options "--oldpackage";
>
> Probably won't work, see the missing braces:

Thanks. I was blind.

<SNIP>

> > 4) At this point I updated for both of the Planet kernels:
> >
> > apt-get install planetccrma-core
> > apt-get install planetccrma-core-smp
> >
> > and everything went fine. However when I reboot only the non-SMP
> > kernel works. When I try to boot the SMP kernel I get a message:
> >
> > 8042.c - Unable to initialize controller.  (I think)
>
> I think that is the keyboard controller, which would explain the missing
> keyboard... Could you try using the "noacpi" boot option? It may be an
> irq problem.

This will take while. I'll get back to you.

> You could also try the planetccrma-core-edge kernels. Who knows, they
> may work better (or worse :-)

Sure. Possibly.

<SNIP>

> > 5) As a note this machine only has wireless, and wireless ndiswrapper
> > machines require a recompile of ndiswrapper against the kernel source
> > code before it can start networking. What's the proper command for
> > getting the source code for your UMP kernel? Then I can try out
> > wireless and make sure the solution works OK for her.
>
> Well, I don't know much about the ndiswrapper thing or other binary only
> modules. The "source" for the kernel is supposedly no longer necessary,
> the kernel headers external modules should need are (in 2.6.x builds)
> located in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build. Whatever you use to build the
> wrapper needs that if it does not find it by itself.

Nominally it just requires a linux link to the kernel source. I guess
I could try:

cd /usr/src
ln -s /lib/modules/2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrma linux

Seem OK?

I'll give it a try. nice that the headers or whatever is supplied with
the kernel now.

Thanks,
Mark