[PlanetCCRMA] mplayer install...

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Sat Jan 22 14:34:01 2005

Matt Barber wrote:

>->I think freshrpms has mplayer, enable freshrpms in your sources.list
>and
>just "apt-get update" "apt-get install mplayer"<-
>

>Anyone know of an mplayer rpm that was compiled against and installs all
>the extra windows codecs?  Too much on my plate right now, or I'd learn
>to cook my own.

this is from here:

http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc2-tips.php#mplayer :

"Install MPlayer Media Player
I haven't found a repository that has mplayer that will work cleanly
with up2date  without causing additional problems. If you know of a
repository that does have a good version of mplayer please let me know
below.

At some point you're probably going to want to play a QuickTime, AVI or
ASF file so you'll want the MPlayer media player. Fortunately with the
Livna/Fedora.us repositories it's also very easy to download and install.

# up2date mplayer mplayerplug-in mplayer-gui mplayer-skins mplayer-fonts

This command line will download the whole kit and kaboodle. Restart your
web browser after that whole mess is done installing and you'll also
have a plug-in for Mozilla so you can play embedded content. I recommend
that if you want to play content from a command line that you use the
gmplayer  version which will include a skin-able control panel. "

to add livna.org to your apt configuration, just go to their homepage
and follow the directions there (nb - you also have to add the fedora.us
repository, instructions/links should be on the livna site). you may
also have to comment out/remove other repositories while you do this to
avoid conflicting packages ...

shayne