[PlanetCCRMA] freewheeling

nigel henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Wed Jan 19 07:42:01 2005

On Tuesday 18 Jan 2005 8:13 pm, jonathan segel wrote:
> i'm having some trouble with this application - it looks interesting,
> but everytime i use it it freezes jack! the qjackctl window goes static
> and then the freewheeling window becomes uncloseable. i can quit other
> apps that might be running (in fact it continues to make noise) but
> can't do anything more until i kill jackd.
> what's happening here..?

Hi Jonathan. I can't be much help on this apart from my own observations on
trying this little gem.
It's on FC2 running kernel 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma.
With Jack started with Qjackctl, I started fweelin. First I just got a blank
black window with a title bar. Having waited some time with nothing happening
I thought I'd try and close it as you have this problem. Clicked on close and
then stuff starting opening up in the window. The piano keys have querty
keyboard letters overlaid on em. The audio is connected in Jack and I
connected my Evolution 225C USB midi keyboard to fweelin in qjackctl's
connections. It will play notes ok but doesnt register any activated loops,
and when I stop the note which stops ok, then a low frequency waveform
starts, sounds about 60HZ with rising and falling amplitude. The application
won't close and the mouse pointer constantly flickers when its in the fweelin
application. But Qjackctl isn't locked up and if I stop Jack there fweelin
closes noisily and abruptly. I miss there not being a menu and "configure"
for it. It says on the site for it that it needs SDL direct video and I'm not
sure if I've got that and whether it would solve some of the problems.

Perseverence does pay off in the end. I've at least got the sounds working ok
now, so I suppose the fweelin problem will get fixed too.  Nigel Henry.