[PlanetCCRMA] ALSA 1.0.8 Feedback

Tue Jan 18 14:46:00 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 14:03, Saul Lethbridge wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 03:01, Saul Lethbridge wrote:
> >>This probably has nothing to do with CCRMA - however everything installs
> >>fine, kudzu detects my Echo Darla 20 but jack can't load that alsa
> >>driver (nor can any other audio app)? Any suggestions on things I can
> >>check for?
> >
> >As Mark says we need more info...
> >I would immediately suspect the firmware loader, supposedly that happens
> >now through hotplug but it may not be working correctly. I don't have a
> >card handy that I can use to test that.
> >
> >In addition to Mark's questions: once the machine is up and running, do
> >you see anything in /proc/asound/?, "cat /proc/asound/cards"? "cat
> >/proc/asound/devices"?
> >
> OK here it is (thanks for your help):
> Modprobe.conf
>
> alias eth0 tulip
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
> alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
> alias char-major-195* nvidia
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> alias char-major-81 snd-darla20

Very strange. I take it you have not edited /etc/modprobe.conf, right?
Kudzu (or whatever) configured snd-darla20 as some kind of video stuff
(I think that is what happened, not completely sure). And it left an
"install" line for the a snd-intel8x0 soundcard behind (is this what you
have in your motherboard? have you turned it off in the bios?)

Try replacing the "alias char-major-81 snd-darla20" line with:

alias snd-card-0 snd-darla20

Then do an /sbin/depmod -a
The try restarting alsa with the alsasound script:
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start

Do you see any hotplug related messages in /var/log/messages or in the
output of dmesg?

-- Fernando