[PlanetCCRMA] Dummy Soundcard for obnoxious applications (was Re: [PlanetCCRMA] multi card fc2)

Janina Sajka janina@rednote.net
Sun Jan 16 07:29:01 2005

Well, well. What can I say? One person's "obnoxious" is another person's
"critical accessibility feature." This most definitely includes the
system beep (at whatever Herz). As a matter of fact, over here in the
alternative interfaces camp, we call beeps and bleeps that are
associated to system events "Earcons" or "SonIcons."

I don't know that Mozilla developers used any such nobel design
criteria. I would certainly not wager on it. But, the ability to
associate particular sounds with system events is absolutely vital to
many "eyes-free" interface users.

Of course, I'm for your ability to turn them off, just as I'm for my
ability to turn them on. We DO need a common approach to audio
management that can be honored across all desktop and console
applications.

For the system (Ctrl-G) beep, if you're on a 2.6 kernel, do:

rmmod pcspkr

Or try this workaround:

setterm -bfreq 1

PS: I happen to like my system beep at "-bfreq 55" -- but you could also
do "-bfreq 440" and just tune to it.