[PlanetCCRMA] Dummy Soundcard for obnoxious applications (was Re: [PlanetCCRMA] multi card fc2)

jim branagan ccrma@themusenashville.com
Sat Jan 15 21:00:02 2005

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 05:40:29AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>>[QUESTION] Can anyone tell me why Mozilla should be able to change the
>>clock frequency of the sound card anyway???? [/QUESTION]
>>

>Heh, for the same reason JACK can.
>
>To get round this problem I stuck a $10 soundcard next to my hammerfall
>and made that card0, which is opened by mozilla and friends.
>
>- Steve

After trying for months to turn off all the gratuitous noises generated
by hundreds of applications which had no need to make noise, other than
someone thought it might be cute, I resorted to this same approach.

Most of KDE was easy to shut off, but for some apps, - like bash, and
that obnoxious beep it likes to generate when I hit one extra backspace
at the beginning of a line -  this seems to be the only way to shut them
up.  I've been through the bash man page and manual from beginning to
end, and there is no mention of sound at all.  That beep sounds REALLY
bad at 8000 watts (we use this PC to play music between bands at a music
club, and as a recording platform).  Wasting one low-grade sound card
(in this case the built-in motherboard sound) was by far the easiest
solution, and involves a lot less eye-strain.

I wouldn't want to waste a precious PCI slot for this, but there are
plenty of cheap USB sound 'cards' which can be put in slot 0, to
eliminate 'unauthorized' sounds and sound card tweaking.

e. james branagan
the MUSE § Nashville, TN