[PlanetCCRMA] multi card fc2

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Fri Jan 14 05:41:02 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:50:39 +0100, Björn Elenfors <bjoele@gmail.com> wrote:

> > JACK will only handle them via alsa pretending that they are a single
> > virtual card. Some people have had problems with this, the sync has to be
> > very tight to avoid problems, and it isn't always on consumer cards.
>
> Do I understand this discussion right if I think that JACK cannot
> handle multiple cards in a good way?
>
> My Ardour-computer is using a ST Audio DSP2000 C-Port which works fine
> for audio but MIDI is not working. I'm considering using a separate
> card (possibly via USB) for the MIDI needs, but perhaps this will not
> work?
>
> /Björn

MIDI is not a problem. You can have lots of MIDI interfaces and it
should work fine. I've routinely used two but there's no reason I know
of that you cannot have more.

No operating system can handle multiple audio cards and keep the audio
in sync withoput hardware support in the cards designed to do it. That
requires hardware support between the cards that is beyond the
capabilities of 'PC sound card' prices, but comes on the higher priced
cards like most from RME. If you are purchasing in the future then
look for keywords like 'Word Clock' or 'ADAT sync' for a high degree
of certainty that two cards can be synced to each other. (Do NOT
purchase based on this description alone!) In my case I sync 3
machines, 2 with sound cards and a 3rd external sound box (DigiDesign
002 Rack) using the ADAT clock (not ADAT sync)  and it works very well
except for Alsa letting Mozilla mess around with the RME's clock when
I'm browsing which messes things up.

[QUESTION] Can anyone tell me why Mozilla should be able to change the
clock frequency of the sound card anyway???? [/QUESTION]

- Mark