[PlanetCCRMA] multi card fc2

fonse006 fonse006@csusm.edu
Thu Jan 13 16:41:01 2005

>===== Original Message From mjnoble <not8ohm@iinet.net.au> =====
>hi folks,
>
>whilst the multiple card configuration seems fairly straightforward
>under fc1, it seems fc2 has done away with modules.conf.  whereabouts
>then, would I have to tinker with configs to get multiple cards working
>under fc2?

the 2.6 kernel version uses /etc/modprobe.conf

>also, on the LAU list and over at the alsa wiki there is an example
>.asoundrc script to get two cards to be recognised as one.  is anybody
>using this approach?  might it allow jack to recognise two cards
>similarly and hence give me all i/o's in the patcher for qjackctl, for
>instance?

Yes, you can do that, but for most cards the samples will fall out of sync.
Each card has a clock that tells it when to take a sample during analog to
digital conversion. So, if you have two different clocks the samples will not
match up.  There are a couple of different ways that you can make two cards
use the same clock to take samples, but they have to be supported by your card
at a hardware level.

Hope this helps,
Adam