[PlanetCCRMA] Newbie Docs for Planet

Dave Phillips dlphilp@bright.net
Thu Jan 13 05:16:01 2005

Greetings:

  Linux abounds in small utilities that perform valuable functions. In
most instances the 'man' command is your friend, e.g. :

    man lspci

or:

    man lsmod

  The man command opens the UNIX-style manual page that describes the
command in question and often gives examples of its usage. The level of
detail varies, but man is usually a good place to start finding out
exactly what those myriad utilities actually do.

  Incidentally, commands that begin with 'ls' typically list devices or
services, i.e., lspci lists the devices on your machine's PCI bus, lsmod
lists your installed modules, lsusb lists your USB devices, etc.

HTH,

dp